2. What we do with your personally identifiable information
It is always up to you whether to disclose personally identifiable information to us, although if you elect not to do so, we reserve the right not to register you as a competitor or user or provide you with any products or services. Personally identifiable information means information that can be used to identify you as an individual, such as, for example:
- your name, email address, phone number and postal address
- details of your yacht and other regatta information
- emergency contact information
- dietary preferences
- payment details including credit card information (see 5. below).
- your computer's browser software and version
- your computer's domain name and IP address, indicating where your computer is located on the Internet, and possibly your geographic location
- session data for your login session, so that our computer can communicate with yours while you are logged in
If you do provide personally identifiable information to us, either directly or through a reseller or other business partner, we will:
- not sell or rent or otherwise share it to a third party but we may use your contact information to provide you with information we believe you need to know or may find useful, such as (for example) news about the Cowes Classics Week regatta and modifications to the Terms of Service. We may also use your contact information to provide you with information on other RLYC sailing events that we believe you may be interested in;
- take commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information from loss, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction;
- not use or disclose the information except:
- as necessary to provide services or products you have ordered, such as (for example) by providing it to the organiser of an event supper you have bought tickets for;
- in the publicly published regatta results;
- as required by law;
- to outside auditors who have agreed to keep the information confidential;
- as necessary to enforce the Terms of Service;
- as necessary to protect the rights, safety, or property of the event and RLYC its users, or others; this may include (for example) exchanging information with other organisations for fraud protection and/or risk reduction.
3. Other information we collect
We may collect other information that cannot be readily used to identify you, such as (for example) the domain name and IP address of your computer. We may use this information, individually or in the aggregate, for technical administration of our Web site(s); research and development; customer- and account administration; and to help us focus our marketing efforts more precisely.
A cookie is a simple text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website's server and only that server will be able to retrieve or read the contents of that cookie. It allows a website to remember things like your preferences or what's in your shopping basket.
To opt out of Google analytics visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
Session cookies allow users 'choices' to be remembered from page to page. An example of this functionality is the shopping basket feature in the online regatta entry and social event booking services. When you select some event items, the session cookie remembers your selection so your shopping basket will have the items you selected when you are ready to check out.
Please check the 'Help' menu of your browser to learn about your cookie preferences, and how to remove cookies from your system. The website www.allaboutcookies.org will provide you with further information about cookies.
You can choose to disable cookies through your browser however, please note that by disallowing cookies some functionality on the site may be restricted; for example you will not be able to enter the regatta or purchase social events online.
5. Data storage
In addition to holding data at the RLYC premises some data is stored by third party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted. Regatta information including personal data collected through this website, excluding credit card information, is held and used by Electric Farm Ltd who provide website, marketing, regatta results and other services in connection with Cowes Classics Week. Credit card information collected through this website is not held by RLYC or any other third party other than the payment services provider SagePay.
6. Who has access to your information
We will not share, sell or rent your information to third parties for marketing purposes.
We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing regatta services such as social events to you on our behalf. However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we do not allow them to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties unnconnected with the regatta unless you have requested us to do so, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
7/. How you can access and update your information
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Cowes Classics Week holds about you (we may charge £10 for information requests) to cover our costs in providing you with details of such information.
8/. Security precautions
When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it’s treated securely.
Non-sensitive details are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Payment information is encrypted and protected with 128 Bit encryption on SSL. When you are on a secure payment page, a lock icon will appear on your web browser.